Wednesday 8 May 2013

Leek & Nutmeg Tart

I love leeks, really love them. I also love Nutmeg - a lot. It's only really in the last few years that I have really begun to appreciate them both together. I don't know when my leeky nutmeg epiphany came about, but I'm thankful it did. This is my most favourite savoury tart ever - I could easily eat the whole thing in one afternoon, I really struggle keeping some left for The Man when he gets home. We have this with a simple side salad - or something involving walnut and blue cheese perhaps, we have it with gammon steaks, we have it as part of a picnic or buffet, but honestly, I just love it on it's own. Warm out the oven is best, fridge cold and it loses some of it's flavour. If making ahead room temperature would be great, or even reheated in the oven. I have been known to microwave it for next day grazing, but in truth, it rarely lasts long enough for that to be an option in our house. I cannot tell you how much I love this.



(Serves: 4-6)
Ingredients:
1 sheet ready rolled shortcrust pastry
3 leeks, sliced and rinsed
1 onion, finely sliced
handful of sage, chopped (optional, I dont always add this, it just adds an extra dimension)
2tbsp olive oil
3 egg yolks
150ml double cream
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

(pre-heat the oven to 200 C / 190 C fan assisted)

  • Unroll the pastry and line a greasesd, loose-bottomed flan tin - regular size, 20cm.
  •  Prick the bottom all over with a fork. (of the pastry, not self)
  • Line with baking paper and blind bake (fill with baking beans or uncooked rice and bake) for 15-20 mins then remove the beans and paper and return to the over for 5 more minutes until lightly golden
  • MEANWHILE: Add the oil to a large frying pan over medium heat, add the onion, leeks, sage and 2tbsp water.
  • Cook leeks, covered with lid or foil for 7 minutes until tender, add the spices and cook uncovered for a minute more.
  • Beat the egg yolks with the cream
  • Trim any overhanging edges from the pastry case and pour in the leek mixture.
  • Pour the cream mixture over the top and return for the over for 25 minutes.
  • Check the tart is just set and lightly browned on top - et voila!
(Eat warm or cold at room temp, try not to eat it all at once if possible.
If I have eaten most of it, I find it better to finish it and destroy all evidence before man gets home)

No comments:

Post a Comment