Thursday 20 June 2013

Parrot Soup (only 87kcal)

It's rainly and miserable outside and I am in need of comfort food, but I don't want all the calories that usually come with it. I need something healthy, low calorie, warm and comforting. Which is where parrot soup comes in handy. (parrot = parsnip + carrot)

I can confirm it is comforting and thick enough to make it surprisingly filling. It's really easy to make; there are very few ingredients but best of all it actually is delicious (not to mention low calorie too: 87kcal to be precise). The parsnip is not overwhelming but is undeniably detectable, which is what I want in a parsnip soup. I can't stand it when you're expecting a parsnippy deight and you get something that just tastes of carrot or worse, nothing.


 

(Serves 4)
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
200g carrot, diced (about 3 carrots)
200g parsnip, diced (about 2 parsnips)
650ml vegetable stock ( I used knorr stock pot, i used one pot to make 650ml)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  1. Over a highish heat, add the oil to a large saucepan and saute the onion, carrots and parsnips for 5 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and  nutmeg, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes
  3. Remove from the heat, blend with a handheld blender or in a processor
  4. Season with salt and black pepper and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment