Monday 17 June 2013

The Best Carrot Cake

Again, this one is not my recipe but I made it for my step-dad yesterday (his favourite!) and it reminded me just how good this is! This is from the very first Great British Bake Off book - The Great British Book of Baking. My mum has just text me saying this is the best carrot cake she has ever had, and my sister said the same last time I made it for her, I think she even proclaimed it the nicest piece of cake she had EVER had! and like me, she doesnt usually even like carrot cake. It is a really good recipe and really easy too. The finished cake is really moist and so soft (the subtle orange icing goes so beautifully with it too) I actually really disliked carrot cake until I found this recipe. Thankfully The Man and my Step Dad love it, which is what prompted me to try this one in the first place; so glad I did. Make it, make it!

(Book Photo)


FOR THE SPONGE:
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
225g soft light brown muscovado sugar
grated zest of 1/2 an unwaxed orange (you will use the rest for the filling)
100g walnut pieces (i finely chop these)
3 medium free range eggs, beaten
150ml sunflower oil
250g grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots) - (i grate them in the processor and squeeze excess moisture out)

FOR THE FILLING AND TOPPING:
200g full fat cream cheese
50g unsalted butter, softened
150g icing sugar, sifted
grated zest of 1/2 an unwaxed orange
2 teaspoons orange juice

TO DECORATE:
grated orange zest and walnut pieces (optional)

2 x 20.5cm round tins greased with butter and the bases lined with baking paper

Preheat the oven to 180C
Sift the flour, baking powder and all the spices into a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon mix in the sugar, orange zest and nuts followed by the beaten eggs, sunflower oil and grated carrots. When thoroughlly combined, divide the mixture between the prepared tins and spread it out evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

To make the filling and topping, beat together all the ingredients with a wooden spoon until very smooth and creamy. In warm weather you may need to chill the icing until firm enough to spread. Spread almost half of the mixture on to one of the cakes. Top with the second cake and spread the remainig mixture over the top. The cake can be decorated with extra orange zest and walnut pieces or left plain. Store in an airtight container in a cool spot.



No comments:

Post a Comment